Dr. Dre is one of the most successful producers and rappers of all time. At one point, he was president of Death Row Records, and early on in his career a member of the rap group N.W.A. Although, he is perhaps now better known for being the brains (or at least the main guy) behind Beats headphones. He’s certainly had quite a career!
If you’re after Dr. Dre’s key stats, you’re in the right place. We’ll give you a quick overview of who he is before we dive into information about his height, age, and weight. We’ll even throw in a few facts about Dre before we cap everything off!
Who is Dr. Dre?
Dr. Dre is a rapper and music producer (and now a headphone manufacturer). His career started in 1985 when he started to DJ at some clubs. Back then he was known as Dr. J before he decided to take on his now world-famous moniker. It was around this time that he started to meet some of the guys who would go on to become N.W.A. members with him.
In 1986, he met Ice Cube, and the pair of them (along with a few other prominent rappers) went on to form N.W.A. They were an instant hit, and they redefined the whole idea of West Coast hip-hop.
In 1991, Dre left N.W.A. behind and founded Death Row Records, which went on to become one of the most prominent rap labels in history. However, it was his later label (Aftermath Entertainment) that was responsible for discovering Eminem and 50 Cent, among countless others.
In 2006, he founded Beats Electronics, known for producing Beats headphones, which was sold to Apple a bit later on (and made Dr. Dre more money than he had ever done recording music).
Honestly, this is barely scratching the surface of Dr. Dre’s life. He is one of the most prominent rappers in history. He has been implicated in murders, gang violence, and feuds in the rap game. Along the way, he has recorded and produced countless Number 1 songs. If you ever have the opportunity to look into Dr. Dre’s history, do so. It is quite eye-opening!
If you want to know more about his life, watch ‘Straight Outta Compton’. It is a retelling of his life and is surprisingly accurate.
How Tall is Dr. Dre?
Dr. Dre is a little over 6 feet tall (1.85m). This puts him over the average height for a male. He towers over many of his fellow rap artists, including most of the members of N.W.A.
How Old is Dr. Dre?
Dr. Dre was born on February 18th, 1965. As of 2023, this makes him 58 years old. This means that he was 20 when he first started experimenting in the music game, and 23 when he first gained major fame with N.W.A. He went on to found one of the biggest rap record labels in history in his early 30s.
How Much Does Dr. Dre Weigh?
As you can probably imagine, Dr. Dre doesn’t talk about his weight all that much. It doesn’t come up much in the hip-hop game. He is estimated to weigh anywhere from 170 lbs to 210 lbs.
In recent years, he seems to be trending towards the lower end of this estimate. In more recent interviews, he has spoken extensively about how he enjoys working out (especially spending hours in the gym), and it is clear that he has managed to trim up a bit recently. We wouldn’t be surprised if a good amount of his weight was simply muscle.
That being said, Dr. Dre has never really been on the larger side of things.
What is Dr. Dre’s Net Worth?
Dr. Dre is estimated to be worth anywhere from $ 500 million to $ 800 million. Despite being incredibly successful in the rap and producing game, most of Dr. Dre’s net worth comes from the sale of Beats to Apple. For the sale, he received a cool $375 million, plus a further $ 200 million in Apple shares.
This would make Dr. Dre the second richest man in rap. It puts him significantly behind Jay-Z, but a little ahead of his arch-rival in the rap game, P Diddy.
Interesting Facts About Dr. Dre
- His real name is Andre Romell Young. When he first started to perform, he would always appear in a doctor’s mask (hence the Dr.), and the Dre is just a shortened form of his first name.
- While he founded Death Row Records, he decided to walk away from the label. He believed that Death Row Records was starting to become incredibly dangerous (there were several deaths related to the label), and Dre wanted no part in that. It is said that this cost him a lot of money, although he did go out on his own and find some successful artists that did make him more cash. He did not receive any royalties when he left Death Row Records. He has said several times that he is just happy that he managed to escape with his life.
- Dr. Dre was the very first hip-hop producer to win the ‘Producer of the Year’ award at the Grammys. He has since won five more Grammys, and he likely will win more.
- Early in 2021, he suffered a brain aneurysm which almost killed him. Thankfully, he has now made a full recovery.
- Dr. Dre was the one that gave Eminem his big break in the industry. They have worked together extensively ever since. In fact, a lot of Eminem’s rapping style is down to suggestions from Dr. Dre, notably the ‘shouting into the microphone’ stuff.
- Dr. Dre has acted a little bit in his time (although, not quite as much as fellow West Coast rapper Ice-T). In one movie (now long forgotten) he starred alongside Snoop Dogg. It was called The Wash and it was critically panned.
Dr. Dre is one of the most successful rappers in history. He has had an extensive career, running record labels, and building major electronics companies. He has even had a movie made about his life (Straight Outta Compton). He has already a career better than most in the music game, and things are only going to get better for the 6-foot, 170-lb man. He is only 58, and the best may still yet come, particularly from the producing side of things.