Map of Portland Oregon Area | What is Portland Known For?
You may be an enthusiastic tourist planning a trip around Portland, Oregon, or an admirer of the TV show ‘Portlandia’, or maybe someone intrigued by the slogan “Keep Portland Weird”. Whatever it is, we have all your queries answered here.
Where is Portland Oregon Located on the US Map?
Portland is a city located in the northwest region of the Oregon state of US, surrounded by the snow capped peaks of Mount Hood. It is the largest city of Oregon, situated on the Willamette River near its junction with the Columbia River, just South of Vancouver, Washington.
What is Portland Known For?
A house to refugees and fugitives, the vibrant Portland is well known for numerous reasons. The TV show Portlandia clearly shows how the city is dominated by the eccentric hipsters and wine lovers.
Its most famous feature is an abundance of strip clubs. It has a higher number of strip clubs than any other city in the US. Another distinctive attribute is the presence of coffeehouses and microbreweries, producing some of the finest wines of the world.
Portland is also known for its eco friendliness- nature is a priority here. So, only vegan food is served here. Even the clothes made in the city do not contain any animal parts. Moreover, Portland has several gardens and architecturally aesthetic bicycle parking and bridges. It even hosts the renowned Washington Park which demonstrates various hallmarks including two museums, a zoo, and a true depiction of the real Japanese garden.
Theatres and art galleries are a highlight of the city too. You might find many residents of Portland as avid readers. This fire of book reading is fueled by the presence of the famous bookstore- Powell’s Books, larger in size than a city block. However, frequent rains here for more than 5 months each year signifies that sometimes this love of books and solitude is more of a compulsion for Portlanders than a source of real entertainment.
The economy of Portland is mainly based on the service sector. Most of the population here is of retirees with ideas for small scale businesses. You can hence find a large array of custom-built items here. Though slightly overpriced due to their customized nature, these are distinctive and one of their kind. The slogan “Keep Portland Weird” was a creation to support these local, small scale businesses.
How Big Is Portland In Terms of Size and Population?
Portland, being more populated than any other city of Oregon, has a population of 664,605 as per the 2020 records. This shows an increasing growth rate of 1.14 percent from 2019. In comparison to other cities of the United States, Portland ranks 26th in terms of population. It constitutes a total area of 375.5 km2 stretching to the Willamette and Columbia rivers. It is situated on top of the Boring Lava Field, encountering earthquakes very often.
Is Portland a Good Place to Live?
Portland is considered an amazing city to live in. No wonder people keep emigrating here in large numbers.
Portland has a Mediterranean climate with dry, warm summers and cool rainy winters. December is the coldest month of the year with temperatures falling as low as -8°C at night times. However, temperatures do not go below freezing points on most days. 4.3 inches of annual snowfall occurs in Portland, usually between December and March. Due to its lower altitude than surrounding areas, the city does not have high snowfall.
Summers, though sunny and dry, only last from mid-June to early September. Rainfall occurs in the months of June, July, August, and September, making a total of 4.19 inches of rainfall.
Exceptionally harsh weather conditions like thunderstorms and tornadoes are almost never experienced in this part of the state.
Considering the pleasant climate along with the fine food, vast cultural sites and remarkable entertainment opportunities, Portland is truly a remarkable place for residence. Not only this, Portland offers several growth opportunities in terms of technology, health, and sports.
This, however, must be noted that prices of housing are increasingly growing while availability of residential places is decreasing at a faster rate.
What are the Best Areas to Live in Portland?
If you want to move to Portland and are looking for the ideal location, do consider the following neighborhoods before making a final decision:
- Downtown Portland: It has 60 large apartment buildings comprising 6497 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 652 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,656.
- Goose hollow: It has 58 large apartment buildings comprising 6435 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 655 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,657.
- St. Johns: It has 71 large apartment buildings comprising 655 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 725 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,359.
- South Waterfront: It has 62 large apartment buildings comprising 2589 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 776 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,651.
- Nob Hill: It has 73 large apartment buildings comprising 7193 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 728 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,852.
- Troutdale: It has 25 large apartment buildings comprising 288 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 983 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,268.
- Fairview: It has 79 large apartment buildings comprising 900 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 955 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,432.
- Sunnyside: It has 432 large apartment buildings comprising 7,386 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 799 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,446.
- The Pearl: It has 58 large apartment buildings comprising 6,236 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 751 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,911.
- Overlook: It has 27 large apartment buildings comprising 2,506 rental apartments. Average size of these apartments is 737 ft2 while rent for these apartments is $1,623.
If you plan to visit Portland just for a holiday or you plan to move there permanently, either way it is bound to leave an imprint in your heart.